Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance
To assist child care programs in addressing difficulties to attract higher levels of certified staff, effective April 1, 2009 the Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance is offered under the Alberta Child Care Accreditation Funding Program to staff certified as child development workers and supervisors.
The Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance offers funding up to $5,000 ($2,500/year over two years) to help recruit trained staff who have at least six months of child care experience and have not worked in the child care field for at least six months. Eligible staff must be certified as a child development worker or child development supervisor and be working in a licensed day care program, licensed out-of-school care program or a contracted family day home agency.
New StaffThe Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance is also available to people who are new to the child care profession and do not have the six months of previous child care experience. These individuals are eligible to receive $2,500 after working one year in a licensed day care program, licensed out-of-school care program or a contracted family day home agency. Eligible staff must be certified as a child development worker or child development supervisor.
Licensed day care programs, licensed out-of-school care programs and contracted family day home agencies can apply on behalf of day care and out-of-school care staff, family child care consultants (i.e. home visitors) and family day home providers. This allowance is offered under the Alberta Child Care Accreditation Funding Program and the child care program must be accredited or working towards accreditation to be eligible.
Child care programs applying for the Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance must ensure that staff recruited to positions under this initiative:
- are a Canadian citizen or have Canadian Permanent Residence Status;
- have previously worked in a licensed or approved child care program for a minimum of six months and have been out of the child care profession for at least six months prior to the date of employment, if an experienced staff member returning to the child care field; OR no previous child care experience if new staff entering the child care field;
- have been out of the child care profession for at least six months prior to the date of employment;
- are certified or eligible for staff qualification certification in Alberta as a child development worker or supervisor;
- are willing to work full-time (minimum of 80 hours/month for day care and family day home staff/providers and 40 hours/month for out-of-school care program staff) for each of the 12 consecutive month periods. An exception is made for approved time-off by the employer, (e.g. vacation time).
- are not a child care staff member currently on maternity leave, leave of absence or special leave or currently working full or part-time in a licensed/approved child care program.
An updated Accreditation Funding Grant Application and Supplementary Form C must be submitted by the child care program to the Alberta Child Care Accreditation Funding Program within 60 days of the employee’s commencement. Both the employer and employee are required to sign the Supplementary Form C.
Application and Processing
- Complete an updated Accreditation Funding Grant Application and Supplementary Form C and submit it to the Alberta Child Care Accreditation Funding Program.
- Eligible child care programs will receive $2,500 at the end of 12 months of continuous service to a maximum of $5,000 over two years on behalf of eligible experienced staff or a one time payment of $2,500 at the end of 12 months of continuous service for a new staff member.
- The allowance will be paid to the child care program on the staff person’s behalf to be transferred to the employee upon completion of each year of continuous service.
- A 16 per cent benefit contribution payment will be made to the child care program to offset the cost to the mandatory employer contributions. These mandatory benefits include Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, WCB contributions; and general holiday pay and vacation pay in accordance to the Alberta Employment Standards Code.
- Payments will not be pro-rated should the approved staff leave prior to the 12 month commitment period.
For more information on the Staff Attraction Incentive Allowance, please see the Frequently Asked Questions or call 1‑800‑661‑9754 or in Edmonton at 780‑422‑1119.