English Language Training
The Government of Alberta has a number of programs to help you improve your English.
Learning English with CBC
Keep up to date with the news while learning English. The Government of Alberta and CBC Edmonton are providing free English lessons.
Language learning lessons are posted below. Use these supportive lessons to help you and your family adjust to life in Alberta and practice English at the same time.
Looking for work? Use these eight lessons to help you find and keep a job while improving your English skills.
- Employment Enhancement
- National Occupational Classification
- Essential Skills Profiles
- The Hidden Job Market
- Employment Application Forms
- Are You Job Smart?
Language lessons will be posted to help newcomers integrate into their new lives in Alberta. New lessons will be posted as they are released.
- Back to School
- Parenting preschoolers
- Identity theft
- Understanding Credit Cards
- Payday Lending
- Mental Health
- Social Media
Language Assessment & Referral
There are assessment and referral centres around Alberta. These centres provide referral information about programs. The Calgary and Edmonton centre websites also have ESL Directories that list course information.
- Immigrant Language and Vocational Assessment-Referral Centre
1401, 910-7th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 3N8
- Language Assessment, Referral and Counselling Centre
Edmonton, Alberta T5H 2X3
For elsewhere in Alberta:
- To find a language assessment centre in your area, go to the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment Services.
Adult English as a Second Language Programs in Edmonton and Calgary (ESL)
Information on services for immigrants by region can be found here.
Other English as a Second Language Organizations
These organizations offer professional support to English as a Second Language teachers in Alberta and support national standards in ESL programming.
- Alberta Teachers of English as a Second Language (ATESL) is a volunteer-run, not-for-profit professional organization.
- The Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks is a national English as a Second Language standards organization.